Tuesday, August 19, 2008

In Memory of Pamela Rudin

Many people come into your life and touch you in a different way. Being the Director for Train to End Stroke many do. It’s a gratifying job seeing people doing great things for other people by raising funds for the Stroke Association but also seeing the changes physically by completing a full or half marathon.

Majority of the people doing the program are people who have never done a marathon before but just want to get into shape. Others are doing it because they want to honor a loved one who has been affected by stroke. Then we get the special ones as I like to call it who have been affected by stroke themselves. We give them the title of Stroke Hero.

Pamela Rudin was one of these heros. Pamela came to me in August of 2004 to train for her first marathon in Honolulu. Having aphasia it was hard for her to communicate and carry a conversation which probably made her a bit shy coming to a group like Train to End Stroke. However with her involvement I saw her warming up and even becoming friends with other participants. You knew with her bright smile and laughter that she was having the time of her life at training and at the marathon events.

Pamela didn't stop at just one marathon in Honolulu. Last time I checked she has done Train to End Stroke 6 times raising over $14,000. What would motivate Pamela to do this. Pamela is a stroke hero. She had her stroke as a baby. From a baby to adulthood I am sure she had to go through many obstacles and she wanted to make Train to End Stroke another obstacle that she would overcome.

There was one obstacle that she couldn’t win. Pam had been diagnosed for melanoma for 10 years and doctors recently discovered she had two inoperable brain tumors. For the past month or so, she was undergoing radiation and treatment. Unfortunately she passed away on Thursday of last week.

This news of Pamela's passing has saddened me. She was a great inspiration to myself and to many that had the honor of being on the same team as her.

I have decided to dedicate the marathon I am doing in Las Vegas to Pamela Rudin. It is the least I can do as she has done so much for the American Stroke Association.

Support me by making a donation in her honor. If you would like to make a donation click the link on the side bar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was looking for photos of Pamela this evening. I did a google search and your entry was at the top of the list. Thank you.

What I thought was cool was what followed from the result of my search was line after line of race result web sites, documenting the participation of one Pamela Rudin. What an inspirational legacy she leaves for all of us. She not only overcame obstacles, she met them head on and overcame them while demonstrating to all of us dedication, persistance, kindness and joy. It was an honor to be able to witness her accomplishments. I'll miss her and won't forget her.

Anonymous said...

Hi
My name is Joyce Duff and Pamela is a member of my church. But more than that she was my very special close friend. She is a member of The Red Robin Sisterhood. A group of ladies that loved her into heaven. Thank you what a wonderful tribute to our friend. Please come to her memorial this Sunday 8-24 Sunday at Mariners Church. You can call Marissa Fortuno and she will give you the info

God Bless You
Joyce