Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Foccacia . . . Fascitis....I Got a Foot Problem


As many of you know that I am training for the Las Vegas Marathon in December. This past Saturday I was scheduled to run 16 miles. I did the usual pre-run prep that I do -

Have breakfast which consist of a slice of cinnamon raisin toast with extra crunchy peanut butter.

Drink Water.

Take Two Advil.

Drive to Training.

Take a Gel (mainly Tri-Berry or Strawberry Banana Gu).

I did all this and was prepared for the long mileage. Before the run I noticed a feeling in my right heel. I attempted to run but then I felt a pain in the heel of my foot so I ended up stopping. I didn't want to risk anything by having whatever I had get worse by running 16 miles.

I asked my Coach what it could be. He said it was mental which isn't an answer I was going to accept. That day I had a positive outlook for that run prior to feeling the pain in my foot so it wasn't mental.

I went home, rested, and iced my foot. I figure I should do this to make the situation better and try it again on Sunday.

Well Sunday came and did the whole regimen again and attempted to run. Same thing happened. So I stopped running again.

On Monday I decided to go to the doctor and see what was happening. He examined me and thinks I am developing Plantar Fascitis.

According to WebMD Plantar fasciitis (say "PLAN-ter fash-ee-EYE-tus") is the most common cause of heel pain. The plantar fascia is the flat band of tissue (ligament) that connects your heel bone to your toes. It supports the arch of your foot. If you strain your plantar fascia, it gets weak, swollen, and irritated (inflamed). Then your heel or the bottom of your foot hurts when you stand or walk.

They list a bunch of causes but one that is obvious of what happened is:You walk, stand, or run for long periods of time, especially on hard surfaces.

So as of right now I need to rest my foot and stop running. I swear if it's one thing it's not another. I really hope that this doesn't affect my marathon training. I've done so much to reach the point to where I am. Send me good thoughts and hopefully I'll be crossing the finish line of my marathon race.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It must be a Vegas thing. I had it right before we did the Vegas marathon last year. Ice helps. When you're relaxing at home in the evening watching TV or playing on the interweb, rest your foot on a bag of ice.

Jennifer